Sunday, September 11, 2016

Introduction of Benchroom

To all the developers, coders, project managers, sysadmins and geeks: I am happy to announce the birth of Benchroom!
(Sorry for the that, I just had to)

For quite a long time I have been thinking about a platform for benchmarking various software. Questions like which compression algorithm has best run time / archive size ratio or which video codec is the fastest to be encoded in has kept me awake during long nights. Ok, to be honest, they didn't kept me awake, but I was still curious and many time it would make my decision during development a lot easier if I just had the right numbers.

For some of my questions I was able to find some partial benchmarks online, but I am quite a perfectionist and the number of various combinations in the benchmarks was not sufficient for me. Of course I don't blame the authors, they had done very good job, they probably run it all by hand, but I just wanted something more.

So, how to do more benchmarks without spending huge amount of time doing it? Easy, make it automatic! How? Spend ridiculous amount of time developing software which would do it automatic! So I started thinking and coding...

Right now, I have pre-alpha version of the benchmarking platform (which I called Benchroom) on GitHub (https://github.com/milan-fabian/benchroom). Any suggestions are of course welcome, but please be aware that it is really in pre-alpha state. If there will be some free time in next couple of weeks, I will post some ideas how I picture myself the entire platform.

Right now I am stress testing my older laptop with whole benchmark suite of 7-zip - first complete run of Benchroom. I have no idea how long it would take, but if the test goes well (keep you fingers crossed), I will post results here, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment